Extension Stats and Strengths
NC State Extension is the educational outreach unit of North Carolina’s preeminent research enterprise – NC State University. Extension transforms science into everyday solutions for North Carolinians through programs and partnerships focused on agriculture and food, health and nutrition, and 4-H youth development.
At NC State, what we Think and Do helps grow North Carolina.
KEY FACTS & FIGURES
Extension is the largest non-formal educational outreach organization in the 17-campus UNC system.
- 101 local centers – an office in every county and with the Eastern Band of Cherokee
- 967 Extension professionals
- 1.8M direct contacts with North Carolinians
- 13,000+ programs
Extension’s economic and functional impacts on the state are large in scale, with benefits of Extension financially eclipsing the cost of operations by many multiples.
- $33M in annual tax revenue generated
- 1,456 jobs supported (direct employment with Extension and jobs supported by Extension expenditures)
- $2.1B annual economic impact
Volunteers also play a key role in supporting our programs and helping NC State Extension to pursue local needs and opportunities. In 2018, our volunteers…
- Contributed over 675,000 hours to assist in the delivery of Extension programs
- Donated time and services worth $16.6 million in economic value
- Cultivated over 1 million contacts with members of our local communities
N.C. AGRICULTURE OVERVIEW & IMPACT
Agriculture is North Carolina’s largest industry, generating $87B annually while generating roughly 17 percent of the state’s workforce and gross state product.
The N.C. agriculture industry — including food, fiber and forestry — is the third most diverse agriculture economy in the country, with more than 80 commercial crops and a large animal agriculture presence.
- 686,000 jobs
- 48,000 farms
- 8.1M farm acres
- #8 in farm income
Growing Rural Economies
Agriculture is especially important to rural N.C. counties, where farm gate values from our 80 Tier 1 and 2 counties account for more than 80% of the state’s total farm receipts.
Extension creates opportunities and solutions that benefit our rural communities through job creation, building sustainable agriculture and local food economies, helping farmers increase productivity and profits, and preparing our youth to become confident, responsible stewards of the future.
In 2018, rural areas actually saw the fastest job growth rate of any other geographical zones. A few of Extension’s contributions included…
- Provided educational services to over 1M North Carolinians in ^Tier 1 and 2 counties (our most economically-distressed and often rural regions)
- Our community and economic development programs led to the creation, retention or expansion of more than 60 local businesses, while helping over 1,200 people in rural counties increase their knowledge or skill in business-related areas
^The N.C. Department of Commerce assigns county tier designations based on economic development conditions, with Tier 1 representing the “most distressed” counties and Tier 3 the “least distressed.”
N.C. Agriculture Resources
- NC State Research and Extension Works | Impact Handout (2019)
- N.C. Agriculture and Agribusiness Report Handout (2017)
- N.C. Agricultural Statistics | N.C. Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services