Extension Stats and Strengths
NC State Extension is the educational outreach provider of North Carolina’s preeminent research enterprise – NC State University.
Our mission is to grow a more prosperous North Carolina through research-based programs and partnerships that focus on agriculture, food and nutrition, and 4-H youth development.
KEY FACTS & FIGURES
Extension is the largest non-formal educational outreach organization in the 17-campus UNC system.
- 101 local centers – an office in every county and with the Eastern Band of Cherokee
- 812 Extension professionals
- 1.9M contacts with North Carolinians
- 13,000+ programs
- Roughly $300M annual economic impact
N.C. AGRICULTURE OVERVIEW & IMPACT
Agriculture built North Carolina, and it remains our state’s top industry – $84B annually – growing to an estimated $100B by 2020. The agriculture industry — including food, fiber and forestry — account for one-sixth of the state’s income and employees, while contributing nearly 17 percent of North Carolina’s $495 billion gross state product. These industries account for 686,000 of the state’s 4.2 million employees.
Agriculture is especially important to rural N.C. counties, where farm gate values from our 80 Tier 1 and 2 counties account for 83% of the state’s
total farm receipts. NC State Extension and the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (CALS) discover, improve and implement solutions so rural North Carolina succeeds.
- NC State Research and Extension Works | Impact Handout (2018)
- N.C. Agriculture and Agribusiness Report Handout (2017)
- N.C. Agricultural Statistics | N.C. Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services