Our Commitment to Diversity
N.C. Cooperative Extension (NCCE) and our respective partner institutions are committed to diversity, equal opportunity and non-discrimination. This commitment extends to all faculty and staff employment decisions as well as providing open and inclusive access to every North Carolinian seeking to participate in our programs and activities.
Under Title VI and Title XII of the 1964 Civil Rights Act, as amended, and various federal and state laws and university policies, as well as our personal and organizational beliefs and values, we do not tolerate discrimination, harassment, or retaliation on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, genetic information, or disability in employment or our programs and activities.
In furtherance of these commitments, all Extension employees will:
- Promote the development of an employment environment that is supportive of equity and diversity principles.
- Ensure that our policies and practices respect the social and cultural diversity contained within our organizations, including volunteer staff and advisory leadership councils, and the communities we serve.
- Provide equal opportunity by actively identifying and remedying barriers to participation and progression in employment and participation by all in our programs.
- Expect a working and learning environment free from unlawful discrimination, including harassment.
- Comply with state and federal legislation and university policies on non-discrimination and equal opportunity.
- Provide unfettered access to complaint resolution avenues, free from retaliation, for all employees and program participants.
All Extension staff are expected to understand equal opportunity guidelines and to be in compliance with USDA-NIFA and university guidelines.
For more information on USDA-NIFA civil rights and equal employment resources, please go to: http://nifa.usda.gov/civil-rights-equal-employment-opportunity.
Our respective institutions provide annual university statements on equal opportunity and nondiscrimination policies. Please visit the NC State and N.C. A&T websites for more civil rights and equal employment resources:
- Equal Opportunity and Equity at NC State University
- Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action at N.C. A&T State University
- 2019 Equal Opportunity and Non-Discrimination Statement for N.C. Cooperative Extension
- College of Agriculture and Life Sciences | Diversity Resources
— Dr. Richard Bonanno
Director, NC State Extension
Associate Dean, CALS
NC State University
— Dr. Rosalind Dale
Cooperative Extension at N.C. A&T State University