2008-03-07 BoD Minutes

Board of Directors Meeting Minutes

10:00 a.m., March 7, 2008
Brickhaven Building, Raleigh, NC

Members Present: Janine Rywak, Barb Dunn Swanson, Gary Pierce, Stanley Holloway, Kay Bridges, Melissa Keller, Christine Barrier, Rhonda Sherman, Carol Horne, Janet VanJaarsveld, Karen Wicker, Hazel McPhatter, Heather Odom

President Christine Barrier called the meeting to order. She asked that everyone introduce themselves then gave the floor to Dr. Ort for welcoming remarks.

Dr Ort stated they have been busy preparing for regional conferences that start next Wednesday in Greenville. His is excited as meet in new districts and see everyone, get out into state – enjoy doing. We will get preview today of one document that will be handed out, a “leave-behind” (see attached). We will see new logo and materials at the regional conferences. Crystal Bartlet, Marshall Stewart members of the marketing team created the handouts. Our logo hasn’t changed much but Cooperative Extension stands out more and we now have “Empowering People * Providing Solutions as our logo.
Just returned from Washington, DC at meetings of CARET – Council for Agriculture Research, Extension and Teaching. CARET takes to the hill and works to get legislative support in 2009. We are still waiting for 2008 dollars. NCSU had good representation advocating the budget. NC is largest formula package in country and the legislature wants to know what they are getting for the money. There was a poster session on projects universities and extension are doing that invest those monies in new technology and outreach. Carolyn Dunn (Color Me Healthy) and Jackie McLellan (Obesity) were selected to be there (NC only state with 2)

With regards to the federal budget…. Congress wonders if we have a Farm Bill (deadline March 15) and if an agreement is not reached by March 15 we will revert to Farm Bill legislation of 1949-farmers have to show receipts generated during that period of time to collect payments. They think they will have something before then. A major problem that will impact us – Office of Management and Budgeting – is that formula funding on research side under attack because they are trying to move from formula (dollar for dollar) to competing for funds (lose overhead). These restrictions will not be imposed on Smith Lever or funds 1890 land grants receive. The concern is that down the road they may look at those monies ($550 million go into Smith Lever). CARET members are saying “Do not move Hatch funding from research formula to competitive”. We are not asking for new money or initiatives – we are asking to keep what we have.

On state side, putting 2009-2011 budget together in June and will vote on it in September. Revenues are up more than predicted but not as much as we had hoped. Not expecting in state reversions. On Extension’s budget, we are making progress, in last month $700,000 progress. We are still looking at a three year implementation of redistribution of funds (not cut); more money from salaries to operating. As people retire, some positions will not be filled. The current ratio of salary:operations is 89:11; we want 85:15 salary; ideally would have 80:20 but not sure if possible because of diverse needs of state. We are looking at sharing specialists positions with Virginia Tech and have talked with Clemson and will be talking to Tennessee. We have already shared specialists in small fruits and that has been successful but we realize we can’t do it in all areas for all programs. We aren’t cutting corners, but spending money more wisely to preserve our infrastructure and quality of programs.

May 8 extension will be 94 years old. Next year is the centennial celebration for 4-H. Dr. Ort will be 60 in a few weeks.

NC is in the top three states funded nation-wide. Texas is number one. Our budget $111 million and we have 1634 employees. NC is being challenged more than any other state as far as change – due to chickens, turkeys and hogs. These are the three reasons we have the population of Hispanics – now working in other businesses that other citizens don’t want to do. They aren’t migrants anymore.

The College is starting to implement a strategic plan. Research and teaching is funding a position in POD to work with this. They signed 21 new endowments yesterday at the Extension and FCS Foundation Board meeting luncheon. Federation was represented by Christine Barrier at these meetings.

Christine determined a quorum with at least one representative present from each member association

The agenda was approved as written.

The October 6 meeting minutes were distributed online and were accepted as submitted.

Treasurer’s report – Kay Bridges – Treasurer. Kay distributed a report and a copy of the proposed budget Bill (Ellers, former treasurer) did in December. Our balances as of February 25, 2008 were $1,092.87 in checking; $29.96 in the share account and $5,603.16 in money market for a total of $6725.99. The budget was filed for audit.

Kay Bridges – We are filing taxes for the first time this year because the tax laws have changed so now non-profits have to report. If you have below $4,000 in earnings/interest you only have to report – don’t have to pay anything. We will have to report annually. We are also reporting because the Soybean Association gives us $1000/year towards the forum, and they can only get credit for their donation by reporting against our tax ID number – which does not exist right now. When Kay tried to file the postcard would not go through. Kay went to a tax accountant and apparently the number was issued to us so long ago and there was no activity because there didn’t have to be so our number has been purged. We have to go through the application process and get new number. Kay will be able to file taxes once she has our new number.

Unfinished Business:

2007 Forum Review – Janine Rywak – President-Elect
Janine Rywak thanked Christine for wonderful forum in 2007. People were glad to see the research campus and thought the facility where we met was nice. The one recommendation she has received: as part of the registration process, instead of head counts get names to send out blanket email because neighboring counties that could have ridden together but didn’t know the other county was attending.
There was discussion on rotating the forum location around the state. Janine Rywak asked for ideas where to hold 2008 meeting. She suggested meeting at A&T because they are a partner and we want to keep them active.
Karen Wicker suggested Chinquapin Plantation. Other suggestions included the research station and Eastern 4-H Center. Projected attendance for the forum is 75 (10 delegates from each association + officers + guests).
Barb Dunn Swanson asked if the meeting was open to everyone – in other words could more than 10 people from each association attend? According to bylaws they can not. Discussion followed. Gary Pierce explained it was set up so you could have equal discussion among groups. Barb Dunn Swanson suggested the 10 voting attendees be set ahead but allow others to come and see what happens at federation. Christine Barrier asked if Barb Dunn Swanson wanted to lead a subcommittee to discuss it but she declined at this time. There was also discussion about the difference Federation has made and how we need a way to help association members go back and say we have a powerful voice if we need it. Staffs may not realize they are being asked for input to go to Federation – awareness starts with the President and President-Elect of each association.

Federation worked on getting representation on Faculty Senate but was unsuccessful.
Minutes from the 2007 Forum are being worked on. Send any ideas for 2008 meeting locations to Janine Rywak within the next week.

New Business:

Christine Barrier asked if everyone had received their list of duties. She asked that the secretary get a draft of minutes out to members within two weeks of a meeting.

Service & Recognition Award – Janine Rywak asked if the November 1 deadline listed on the web was a standard or could it be changed? The web site needs to be changed so Janine Rywak’s contact information is listed and she will move deadline to October 31 since November 1 is a Saturday. There were only two applications submitted last year so Janine Rywak set a goal for this year of getting one application from each association. Information will be sent out approximately one month before the deadline.

The brochure and website are being updated. Gary Pierce suggested the Federation have an “initiation package” for the vice-president of the ag agents association so they are made aware of what the federation does. It was recommended all associations receive an initiation package.

The 2008 Horn of Plenty will be August 22 in New Bern (Craven Co.). The theme is ‘1908 County Fair’ and people are asked to wear period dress because this is the 100th celebration of the formation of County Commission Association and their first meeting was in New Bern. Federation has been asked to serve as labor and on committees and for a financial contribution. Each Association gives $1/member and Federation doesn’t have it in budget to make a contribution. Christine Barrier will share committee assignments when she receives them but for now, hold the date.

Christine Barrier opened discussion of the 2007 Federation goals:

  1. Develop Federation Recognition Award – Achieved
  2. Faculty Senate Representation – Attempted.
  3. Dr. Zublena support for SPAs through County Directors – Dr. Zublena does support SPAs
  4. Continue for each Extension Association to get issues and concerns forwarded – The president and president-elect of each association needs to get questions back for addressing at forum
  5. Find out how many members Federation represents – Achieved (970)
  6. Market Federation more – A sub-committee developed a brochure and it is on the web.

Federation goals developed for 2008

  1. Target upcoming association officers with Federation materials so they know what the federation does. It needs to be one person’s job to get information out but the association board member’s responsibility to get contact info to that person Gary made the motion that The Federation Secretary will notify each association’s upcoming designee of the marketing information available on Federation. This will be done yearly and will be added to the duties and responsibilities of the Federation Secretary. Stanly seconded the motion. The motion passed. Board members need to let the Secretary know who this designee is.
  2. Continue for each Extension Association to get issues and concerns forwarded
  3. Continue Marketing efforts.
  4. Continue to rotate the Federation Forum around the state in efforts to offer diverse educational opportunities for federation delegates.

Association reports:

Janet Van Jaarsveld– (NCCESA)
We have a total of 229 paid full time members across the state along with 5 paid honorary members. We have accomplished our re-districting, helping to get everyone through all of it. We will be putting the new West Central District board in place on May 2, 208 in Alexander County.
The President of the NCCESA has been visiting the districts during their meetings trying to answer any questions or concerns that they might have about the re-districting.
We are very excited about the new National meeting (SRERSSA) that will be held in Nashville, Tennessee November 12-14th 2008. We have responses from Arkansas, Maine, LSU, MSU, Virginia, Wisconsin, Ohio, Kentucky and West Virginia. This National Conference is a huge step for our association and we can see this growing throughout the years! We are asking the area associations to help us with financial aide for this very important meeting. We have sent out letters of support but responses have been slow. We have had a wonderful response from our members about attending and North Carolina will be well represented. Donna Fulp and Christine Barrier along with Devona Beard have worked relentlessly with other states to get this organized. It promises to be a great milestone for the NCCESA.
We are also looking forward to our 35th annual state meeting to be held in Wilmington, September 18 and 19th.

Karen Wicker (NCEAFCS) – NCEAFCS Mid Year Board Federation Report
There are approximately 121 paid members in NCEAFCS.
NCEAFCS has been in discussion with the NC 4-H Agents Association about possibly combining efforts for hosting State Annual Meetings. This will take some time and planning to come together. Advantages would be travel and registration costs could be lowered, as well as being able to secure better speakers and exhibitors.
The NCEAFCS is also putting a proposal to their membership about how to align with the new administrative districts.
A delegation of NCEAFCS will be attending the National Galaxy conference in Minnesota this fall.
Plans are being made toward developing a NCEAFCS special project to raise awareness of FCS work and to raise funds for the FCS Annual Meeting endowment.
The FCS foundation is growing in dollars and endowments. A signature event is being planned similar, but not like the 4-H gala.
This years Annual meeting will be August 5th through the 8th at Lake Junaluska.
Plans are also being organized for the 2011 FCS Centennial.

Barb Dunn Swanson (NCAE4-HA)
NCAE4-HA held a very successful Winterboard meeting in Kinston in February. This is the opportunity our committees have to do the work of the association. Our recognition committee reads lots of award applications and selects winners who will be announced at our state meeting. Dalton and Ruby Proctor are establishing a new award for a livestock agent that works with 4-H livestock. Our state meeting will be held August 13-15 in Rocky Mount. The total membership is 168.
The Gala will be held April 22 in Raleigh. Heavy hors d-ouvres will be served.
4-H is also discussing redistricting and will vote on accepting a plan at the annual meeting. The 100 year centennial celebration will be happening over the next three years. A song is being produced and will be sung by NC 4-Her’s, “We are 4-H”.

Hazel McPhatter– NCAEPAAT
Met March 5 for board meeting. They have 126 members and are working on constitution and policy. They have set up rotation list through 2012 by district versus who president-elect is. This year’s conference is in Hickory at the Holiday Inn, August 18-20. August 17 is the next board meeting.

Rhonda Sherman– NCACES
They have 72 members and meet three times per year. Their last meeting was February 1 and had a good turnout. Rhonda Condlin came and shared ways on how to work more using new technology. The annual meeting will be May 2 where they will elect new officers and give out awards. They have added a new award – opening nominations to everyone for a “Special Specialist” Award. Award deadline is April 11 and only the “Special Specialist” award has received nominees.

Gary Pierce– NCACAA

North Carolina Association of County Agricultural Agents
Number Current Members
258

Projected Membership for 2008
265

Projected Membership Participation in am/pic in Greensboro, N.C (July 08).
230

NCACAA will be hosting the National Association of County Agricultural Agent’s AM-PIC (annual meeting and professional improvement conference) in 2008. This conference will be held in Greensboro, NC from July 11th through the 17th. Five years of planning will come to fruition this summer. Help from other agents, programming areas and associations is welcome. Volunteers need to contact Ray_harris@ncsu.edu He will tell you how to plug into our labor pool program.

The largest group of non-ag agent members consists of horticulture agents. Our biggest challenge is convincing them ALL Ag agents reap rewards from association membership. It is also a challenge to convince horticulture agents our professional association has rewards comparable to other horticulture association.

Christine Barrier reported on a question she received to address with Administration:
“Has there been a policy change regarding the entering of Annual Leave…is it now required to add an explanation in the Comment Line prior to submitting for approval by the supervisor?”
Dr. Joe Zublena response: “There is no requirement at all. However, there can be local supervisor/office set rules that a CED might ask for some detail, but there is no requirement. We would need more information to know if there had been some office standard established and for what reason. And, as long as the use of a local office requirement is consistent, it is also fine.”

Several attendees reported on JCEP held in Orlando, Florida on February 5-7, and the value of a presentation they attended on intergenerational diversity.

Kay Bridges reported that all dues for 2008 are paid. ($50 from each association)

The next board meeting is October 31, with the second choice being October 24 at Brickhaven.

Two issues that were brought up to address with Administration at this year’s Forum:
Employee appreciation week. Off campus people can’t get benefits of that. Would like to see Extension have an Employee day/week so we have a smaller version of what Administration does for employees.

Trying to get back to 80-20 for salary:operations. We are going to lose positions because we’re taking money from salary to overhead. It is time to close some programs. We can’t be everything to everybody and can’t keep adding new programs. Extension has to take a hard look at where we can draw the line. Different generations are not going to do what “mature” agents will do; they will walk. We need permission from administration that we can say “No” and we need them to back us up. We need to cut the program out, not just “prioritize”. If our marketing is successful and there are less agents; what do we do then?

With no further business the meeting was adjourned at 12:45 p.m.

Submitted,

Heather Odom
Secretary

Was the information on this page helpful? Yes check No close