2006-10-18 BoD Minutes

Executive Board Meeting Minutes

North Carolina Federation of Cooperative Extension Associations (NCFCEA)
10 a.m. October 18, 2006
Brickhaven Building, Raleigh, NC

Members present: Susan Condlin, President, Federation; Rhonda Sherman, President Elect, Federation and representing NCACES; Pamela Brylowe, Secretary, Federation; Natalie Rountree, Treasurer, Federation; John Dorner, Webmaster, Federation; Aggie Rogers, Past President, Federation and representing NCAEPAAT; Donna Fulp, President, NCCESA; Janet VanJaarsveld, 1st Vice President, NCCESA; Peggie Garner, President, NCEAFCS; Crystal Smith, President, NCAE4-HA; Ray Harris, President, NCACAA.

Guests present: Christine Barrier, 2007 President Elect, Federation; Dr. Joseph Zublena, Associate Director and Director of County Operations (Extension Service Administration); Mrs. Fulp (Donna Fulp’s mother-in-law.)

A quorum was determined by the Secretary with at least one representative present from each member association.

The agenda was approved by all members.

The minutes of the March 2, 2006 Federation Executive Board meeting were unanimously approved.

Natalie Rountree, presented the Treasurer’s Report. The report was unanimously approved and will be filed. A copy is attached.

Old Business:

After discussion of the drafted Policy and Procedures, several corrections were made to the “Federation Forum – Who should attend:” paragraph, and under “MEETINGS” – “Vice President or” was included in the second paragraph. A motion was made and seconded to approve the Policy and Procedures, as amended. The motion carried and John Dorner, Webmaster, posted the amended Policy and Procedures on the Federation web page.

Clarification was asked for from Administration on the use of professional certifications on signature files, business cards, etc. The following written response was received from Dr. Joe Zublena: “Use of professional degrees is okay to put on business cards. These need to be nationally recognized and certified degrees or certifications like RD not just state or by an association.” Further clarification was asked for regarding letters, etc. Dr. Zublena will be attending this meeting later and Susan Condlin will ask Dr. Zublena for further clarification.

Recommendation was made by John Dorner that Administration invite all staff to attend annual conference. It was seconded by Aggie Rogers . After discussion, the motion was approved unanimously.

Annual conference and Federation Forum are both opportunities for all Extension professionals to network. Last year at the Forum only one Specialist attended and he was not there in an official capacity. It was suggested that each Department Head be asked to compose a list of all Specialists and the percentage of the Specialists’ funding that comes from Extension. It was decided to ask Dr. Zublena about this.

The issue regarding establishing a protocol for Specialists to notify the County Extension Director by email or with a phone call when visiting a county was discussed. CEDs would greatly appreciate this courtesy when Specialists and/or University officials visit a county. This issue will be presented to Administration. Rhonda Sherman will draft a paragraph.

Rhonda Sherman made a motion that Extension official name badges include title and department/county in addition to employee name. After discussion it was decided to pass this suggestion along to the Marketing Committee.

Other issues will be discussed after Dr. Zublena addresses the Federation Board Members with Administrations’ comments/concerns regarding Professional Development activities.

New Business

Dr. Zublena appreciates Federation being the focal point for issues between NCSU Extension’s professional associations and Extension Administration. Dr. Ort requested Dr. Zublena share a concern with the Federation members for discussion and hopefully a recommendation of how to best handle Professional Development and activities at the associations’ state and district meetings. The concern is what is on the agenda for Professional Development, and that the activities on the agenda are acceptable and can be justified as Professional Development by the association presidents and Administration when taxpayers question what they may see as misuse of taxpayers money. Activities that may be construed as personal activities may be offset by other Professional Development activities. The positive way to approach this issue is to establish a policy/procedure for preventing any public misconceptions of what association activities are taking place and also allow Administration to be aware of what is happening so, if necessary, they can respond to complaints. The issue is: there is no free time on payroll, but daytime activities can be offset with evening professional development events. After discussion of this concern, Dr. Zublena asked Federation to come up with a methodology or a guideline to accomplish this. Peggy Garner and Susan Condlin will draft a paragraph to send to Association Presidents for review and consideration from the Federation that all district and state association presidents submit justifications for their meeting agendas to the appropriate District Extension Director for review prior to the meetings.

Donna Fulp, President of NCCESA, asked Dr. Zublena for his approval to allow NCCESA to send a delegation of members to another state’s secretaries’/support staff state meeting, as we continue to explore the possibility and feasibility of forming a national association. Dr. Zublena said he would support this and explained that Administration gives other associations with national affiliations up to $400 per voting delegate to a maximum of seven delegates per association and it’s up to the county directors to sanction use of their state travel allocation for this purpose. At this time, NCCESA is not asking for funding support.

Dr. Zublena will check on the use of degrees, professional nationally recognized certifications and designations on business cards, letters, signature files, etc. and will report back to the Federation.

Other Federation issues to present to Administration during the first week of November will include:

1. Travel Allocation – Please explain the process of determining distribution of annual state travel money and how it’s supposed to be used. (John Dorner mentioned there is a spreadsheet template for counties to use in tracking travel spending. It can be linked from the intra net home page by selecting IT Help and then Excel Template. Or go to https://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/it/itaids/publish/027/ and select County Travel Funds Budget.)

2. The issue of Salary Increases based on EMAPS scores was determined after much discussion not to be an issue for Federation to send to Administration. It should be left between the CEDs, DEDs and Administration.

3. MOU/ Send-In – Why is there a push for counties to go send-in? What is Administration going to do if a county refuses to go to send-in?

4. Salary Equity – What is the plan to maintain salary equity for SPA and EPA employees?

5. Raise information being passed to the counties – All raises (county and state) are done at the same time. What can be done to make the transition smoother – i.e. notifying the counties of the amounts? Please explain how the raises are determined and the process of putting them in the system.

The following Federation internal issue was discussed in depth: who should pay for registration and meals for Administration members when they attend association meetings. When a hosting district association invites a member of Administration to speak at a meeting during or around the time of a meal, the hosting district usually will offer to pay for that meal. But when a member of Administration registers to attend the entire two or three day meeting, then the hosting district might want to remind them that the expense of hosting a state meeting is covered by the district association, not the state association, and the hosts are struggling to meet the expenses of hosting the meeting, especially with sponsors not helping with donations as they have in the past.

Each member of the Federation Executive Board, the President and Vice President (or President Elect) of member associations and 10 additional members from each association are invited to attend the Federation Forum. The schedule for the Forum is 9:30 – networking and 10:00 – Forum begins.

The Federation Treasurer will send out a dues reminder/invoice to Federation member association’s Presidents and Treasurers.

The 2007 Federation Officers will be installed at the 2006 Federation Forum on December 8th at the McSwain Extension Center in Lee County. These officers are: Rhonda Sherman, Federation President (NCACES); Christine Barrier, Federation President-Elect (NCCESA); Cathy Brown, Federation Secretary (NCAE4-HA); __to be appointed__, Federation Treasurer (NCACAA); Marshia Ward, Federation Webmaster (NCAEPAAT); Susan Condlin, Past President(NCEAFCS).

The Federation Forum will be held December 8, 2006 at the McSwain Extension Center in Lee County. Networking will begin at 9:30 and the Forum program will begin at 10:00. Each association can have 10 representatives plus President and President-Elect or Vice President. There is no registration fee for Forum. The new NC Soybean Association Executive Director and a representative from the Specialists’ Association will be invited to attend the Forum.

Reports from Associations represented:

NCEAFCS – Peggie Garner, President
The southeast district osted the state meeting in August in New Bern. From the complilation of the evaluations most everything went very well and everyone thoroughly enjoyed it. Then we had a delegation of 35 that went to Denver, CO two weeks ago for the national meeting and we made it there and back safely.

NCACES – Rhonda Sherman, President Elect
Dr. Ort addressed our association meeting in May. Our guest speaker at our October meeting was Jim Zuiches, Vice-Chancellor for Extension and Engagement. We decided to change our operating schedule to coincide with the academic year. Elections will take place at our annual meeting in May, and the new board will take office on July 1.

NCCESA – submitted by Donna Fulp, President
The NCCESA held our annual state meeting September 13-15 at the Mid-Pines Resort in Southern Pines. The following officers were elected for the coming year:

Donna Fulp, President
Janet VanJaarsveld, 1st Vice President
Carol Horne, 2nd Vice President
Teresa Story, Secretary
Gloria Artis, Treasurer
Chris Austin, Advisory
Sheilia Griffis, Parliamentarian

Christine Barrier was elected to serve as our Federation Executive Board Representative as President Elect.

A new outreach committee is being formed this year. We hope to establish a regional association among other states in the southern United States. For the past few years, members of our association have visited Alabama’s state meeting and they in turn have visited our North Carolina Association state meetings. Our hope is to expand the association and include other states in the southern region with the hope of one day forming a national association. Several members have expressed the desire to take the time and pay the expenses to travel by charter bus to another state’s annual meeting as a North Carolina delegate. The NCCESA is proud to take a leading role in establishing a national association for Cooperative Extension Support Staff.

NCAE4-HA – submitted by Crystal Smith, President
April
PILD, Arlington VA President/President-Elect
District Association
State Meeting Planning

May
State Meeting Planning
NCAE4-HA Board Meeting, Greensboro

June
State Meeting Planning

July
State Meeting Planning
NC 4-H and FCS Merged

August
State Meeting, Pinehurst, NC
Theme: Prepare, Professionalism, and Possibilities
115 Members (Active and Retired)
Four Workshops: Retirement Rocket (Tom Collins); “BE an Award Winner “(Lesa Walton); The Seven Habits of Highly Effective 4-H Professionals (Drs. Stewart & Safrit); Professionals: Beyond the Dress Code (Ed Emory), “Officers Invitational: Come Swing with Us” (Spring Williams & Peggie Lewis). Guest Speaker: Yasmi Wurts Metivier.
Recognized several state and national award winners.
President: Crystal M. Smith, Franklin County
President-Elect: Danelle Barco, Camden
Federation Secretary: Cathy Moore, Hoke County

September
Fall District Association meetings
NC 4-H Development Fund Board meeting

October
National Association meeting, Milwaukee, WI (31 delegates)
Announcement of Executive Director for NC 4-H Development Fund: Dr. Michael Martin, coming from Penn State Outreach

NCACAA – Ray Harris, President
We had our state meeting in Wilmington We had about 170 register to attend. We had a good meeting. One of our speakers was Keith Moore.

We had 171 registered at the national meeting in Cincinnati. Fred Miller will go in as president of the national. John Dorner is the national web master and Electronic Communications Coordinator. We will be hosting the national meeting in Greensboro in 2008. We are working at getting sponsorships and we could use volunteers to help with various aspects of the meeting. Our state meeting next year will be in Southern Pines.

NCAEPAAT – Aggie Rogers, Federation Past President

We had our first district awards luncheon in August, hosted in Robeson County. Dr. Cathy Graham did an outstanding job as our key note speaker. Our next district meeting will be held on November 17 in Harnett County.

Meeting adjourned 1:20 p.m.

Minutes provided by:
Pamela Brylowe,
2006 Federation Secretary, NCCESA

Page Last Updated: 3 years ago
Was the information on this page helpful? Yes check No close