Gmail Web Config
Configuration of the Gmail web interface
One of the real benefits of our new email system is the ability to get to all of your mail from any computer. Google Apps @ NC State has a lot more space for you to use so you should be able to have all of your mail on the server. We all know that Google has a search engine. It will quickly go through your mail to find what you are looking for.
NOTE: Before you change any settings in the web interface, exit any IMAP clients that you may be using. This includes both Thunderbird and Outlook.
- Point your browser at http://gmail.ncsu.edu
- Enter your unity id and password
- Click Sign In
These options will help you with both the web interface and with your other email clients, including Thunderbird.
- Settings in the upper right corner
- Select the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab
- Auto-Expunge off
- Move the message to the Trash
- Save Changes
- Labels tab
- Uncheck “Show in IMAP” next to All Mail
Send As address
- Accounts tab
- Add your email@example.com address
- Add another email address you own
- Send Verification
- The confirmation will be sent to your account pretty much immediately.
- Accept confirmation sent from “North Carolina State University Team”
- Go back to Settings, Accounts and make this your default address
Setting Your Signature
- You will be on the General tab automatically
- Scroll down to the Signature block
- Toggle to the account that you want to use
- You should see firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com.
- Add your signature and save it by clicking Save Changes at the very bottom of the screen
Plain Text and Rich Formatting
Sometimes you’ll want to use Plain Text instead of Rich Formatting when you compose an email. You can toggle between the two by using the link under the subject line.