Changing Passwords on NC State Systems
Editing Changing Passwords on NC State Systems
Changing your passwords regularly is one of the best ways you can help protect the integrity of our NC State computer systems. When you change your password, keep the following rules in mind:
- Don’t use a password that is guessable–mix upper and lower case letters, characters and numbers to create character strings that cannot be found in the dictionary
- Don’t walk away from your system when you are logged in. Log out or lock the terminal so no one can use it
- Don’t share your userid or password with anyone
- Don’t post your password where anyone can see it
Some of our systems force you to change your password.
Changing your password on one system does not change it on another. For example, changing your Unity password will not automatically change your Macintosh password. Different systems have different password changing procedures. The steps for changing your password on various NCSU systems are described below.
Use the web form at: http://www.ncsu.edu/password/ to change your Unity password.
- Open System Preferences by clicking the icon in your Dock or selecting Apple -> System Preferences from the menu bar.
- Click Accounts
- Select your name and then click the Change Password button