The next teleconference broadcast
will take place on
Wednesday, June 9, 2010
9:00 am to noon
The topic of this teleconference is:
Urban Forestry Emerging Issues
The annual NC Urban Forestry Conference is coming up on September 14-16, 2010. Some of the topics that may be covered in this year's conference will be previewed in this 3-hour teleconference:
- Green Growth Toolbox is a program developed by the NC Wildlife Resources Commission that provides municipal planners, developers and stakeholders with tools and models of green growth approaches to protect wildlife habitat.
- The recently completed NC Statewide Forest Resources Assessment includes strategies for near- and long-term sustainability of our state's urban forests. What are these strategies and how were the derived?
- Annually, storm damage in urban forested areas is costly, dangerous, and can pose logistical nightmares for communities in the path of hurricans, tornadoes, flooding, and ice storms. A plan for dealing with these disasters needs to be in place before a community encounters the damage. How is this done?
- The use of forest products such as pine straw and hardwood mulch are popular landscaping materials in our area, and they represent a major component of the region's forest products industry. Concerns over the flamable nature of these products have caused some communities to limit their use. What is the basis for these concerns and how can these materials be used in a safe and attractive manner?
Speakers at this teleconference:
- Jacquelyn Wallace, NC Wildlife Resources Commision
- Alan Moore, NC Division of Forest Resources, Eastern NC Urban and Community Forestry Program
- Eric Muecke, NC Division of Forest Resources, Western NC Urban and Community Forestry Program
- Gary Wood, NC Division of Forest Resources, NC Firewise Coordinator
Registration deadlines: Early-bird fee $35 until June 2, 2010.
$50 registration fee starting June 3, 2010.
Register with MasterCard or Visa at: www.ncsu-feop.org
Register by fax or mail and pay by check at: www.ncsu.edu/feop/forum/
Educational Event Planning, Logistics and Delivery
Campus Box 8008, Raleigh, NC 27695-8008
Fhone: 919-515-9563 or 919-515-3184