Breadcrumb Navigation:Extension Forestry Home > Disaster Recovery
Looking for a certified arborist or a tree care professional?
- Search for one at ISA
Need professional forestry assistance?
- Consulting Foresters in North Carolina
- NC Chapter of the Association of Consulting Foresters
- NC Board of Registered Foresters
- North Carolina Forest Service
- North Carolina Cooperative Extension Service Disaster Information Center
- North Carolina Forest Service recovery from storms and wildfire page
- Timber and Forest Products Buyers in North Carolina
- Disaster Recovery Information - Wind Wood Utilization
These materials provide information for anyone needing assistance following a storm or other disaster. Select the resource below.
Storm Damage Safety Videos (NC Association of Professional Loggers)
- Part 1, Storm recovery and chainsaw safety
- Part 2, Storm recovery and chainsaw safety
- Part 3, Storm recovery and chainsaw safety
- Calculating Timber Loss for Woodland Owners
- Utilization of Storm Damaged Timber
- Tax Treatment of Non-business Casualty Loss
- Income Tax Deduction for Timber Casualty Loss (June 2011)
- Casualty Loss Deductions for Tax Purposes
Tree and Stand Assessment
Though some of these publications relate specifically to ice storm damage, the methods can be applied to any type of storm damage.
- Decision Making Guidelines for Storm Damaged Trees
- How to Determine Percent Live Crown Loss in Hardwoods Before Leaf-out
- How to Recognize Hazardous Defects in Trees
- Silvicultural Approaches for Managing Ice-Damaged Stands
Maintenance and Recovery
- Helping Trees Recover from Ice Storms
- Can These Trees Be Saved
- Tree First Aid After a Storm
- Timber Salvage Guidelines
- Timber Salvage Contract Suggestions\
Need to know more information about disaster recovery and safety? Here are some key contacts if you need to get in touch with us.
Robert Bardon, Ph.D.
Emphasis: Community Forestry, Marketing, Woodlot Management
4233 Jordan Hall II, NCSU Campus
Dennis Hazel, Ph.D.
Emphasis: Forest Productivity, Christmas Tree Production
4229 Jordan Hall II, NCSU Campus
Emphasis: General Forestry, Forest Herbicides
4217 Jordan Hall II, NCSU Campus
Mark Megalos, Ph.D.
Emphasis: Forest Management, Taxes/Incentive Programs, Conservation Easements
4219 Jordan Hall II, NCSU Campus