Steven J. McArtney
- Pomology research (80%) and extension (20%) activities
in the southeast region: North Carolina, South Carolina,
Georgia and Tennessee.
- Development of appropriate technologies for enhancing
productivity and profitability of the apple industry
in the southeast, including…
- evaluating new apple cultivars for the southeast
- identifying new or improved methods for regulating
crop load and increasing fruit size
- enhancing color formation and reducing fruit
- improving flower bud formation in biennial
- reducing pre-harvest drop
- Ph.D., Ohio State University, 1998
- M. Hort. Sc., Lincoln University, Canterbury, New
- B. Hort. Sc., Lincoln College, Canterbury, New
- McArtney, S.J., D. Greene, T. Robinson and J. Wargo. 2014. Evaluation of GA4+7 plus 6-benzyladenine as a frost rescue treatment for apple. HortTechnology 24:171-176.
- McArtney, S., D. Greene, T. Schmidt, and R. Yuan. 2013. Naphthaleneacetic acid and ethephon are florigenic in the biennial apple cultivars ‘Golden Delicious’ and ‘York Imperial’. HortScience 48:742-746.
- McArtney, S.J. And J.D. Obermiller. 2012. Use of 1-aminocyclopropane carboxylic acid and metamitron for delayed thinning of apple fruit. HortScience 47:1612-1616.
- McArtney, S.J., J.D. Obermiller and C. Arellano 2012. Comparison of the effects of metamitron on chlorophyll fluorescence and fruit set in apple and peach. HortScience 47(4):509–514.
- McArtney, S. 2011. Effects of 1-aminocyclopropane carboxylic acid on the rate of ethylene release from detached fruiting spurs and on fruit abscission in apple. Journal of Horticultural Science and Biotechnology 86(6): 640-644.
- McArtney, S., M. Parker, J. Obermiller and T. Hoyt. 2011. Effects of 1-Methylcyclopropene on firmness loss and the development of rots in apple fruit kept in farm markets or at elevated temperatures. HortTechnology 21(4): 494-499.
- McArtney, S. and J.D. Obermiller. 2011. Effect of dwarfing rootstocks on low temperature tolerance of 'Golden Delicious' apple trees during winter 2008-2009. Journal of the American Pomological Society 65(4): 178-184.
- McArtney, S.J. and J.D. Obermiller. 2010. Evaluation of a model to predict the response of 'Gala' apples to chemical thinners. Acta Horticulturae 884:581-586.
- Parker, M.L., S.J. McArtney, J.D. Obermiller and T. Hoyt. 2010. Effect of delay between harvest and exposure to 1-MCP on post storage flesh firmness of three apple cultivars. Acta Horticulturae 884:611-616.
- McArtney, S. 2010. Flower bud formation and strategies to help break a biennial bearing cycle in apple. Compact Fruit Tree 43(3):21-23.
- McArtney, S. 2010. Russet, gibberellins and a convenient truth about Apogee. Compact Fruit Tree 43(2):16-18.
- McArtney, S.J., JD Obermiller, T. Hoyt and M.L. Parker. 2009. 'Law Rome' and 'Golden Delicious' apples differ in their response to preharvest and postharvest 1-methylcyclopropene treatment combinations. HortScience 44:1632-1636.
- Marini, R.P., B. Black, R.M. Crassweller, P.A. Domoto, C. Hampson, S. Johnson, K. Kosola, S. McArtney, J. Masabni, R. Moran, R.P. Quezada, T. Robinson and C.R. Rom. 2009. Performance of 'Golden
Delicious' Apple on 23 Rootstocks at 12 Locations: A five-Year Summary of the 2003 NC-140 Dwarf Rootstock trial. Journal of the American Pomological Society 63(3):115-127.
- Unrath, C.R., J.D. Obermiller, A. Green and S.J. McArtney. 2009. The Effects of Aminoethoxyvinylglycine and Naphthaleneacetic Acid Treatments on Abscission and Firmness of ‘Scarletspur Delicious’ Apples at Normal and Delayed Harvests. HortTechnology 19(3):620-625.
- Janssen, Bart-Jan, Kate Thodey, Robert J Schaffer, Rob Alba, Lena Balakrishnan, Rebecca Bishop, Judith H Bowen, Ross N Crowhurst, Andrew P Gleave, Susan Ledger, Steve McArtney, Franz B Pichler, Kimberley C Snowden and Shayna Ward. 2008. Global gene expression analysis of apple fruit development from the floral bud to ripe fruit. BMC Plant Biology 8:16.
- McArtney, S., J. Schupp, M. Parker, J.D. Obermiller and T. Edgington. 2008. Preharvest 1-Methylcyclopropene delays fruit maturity and reduces softening and superficial scald of apples during long-term storage. HortScience 43:366-371.
- McArtney, S., and J.D. Obermiller. 2008. Comparative performance of air-induction and conventional nozzles on an axial fan sprayer in medium density apple orchards. HortTechnology 18:365-371.
- McArtney, S.; J.D. Obermiller, and A. Green. 2007. Prohexadione-Ca reduces russet and does not negate the efficacy of GA4+7 sprays for russet control on 'Golden Delicious' apples. HortScience
- McArtney, S.; D. Unrath; JD Obermiller and A. Green. 2007. NAA, Ethrel and GA4 have variable effects on flesh firmness and return bloom of apple. HortTechnology 17:32-38.
- McArtney, S.; D. Ferree, JD Obermiller, A. Green and J. Schmid. 2006. Effects of Prohexadione-Ca and GA4+7 on scarf skin and fruit maturity in apple. HortScience.41:1602-1605.
- Newcomb, R.D., R.N. Crowhurst, A.P. Gleave, E.H.A. Rikkerink, A.C. Allan, L.L. Beuning, J.H. Bowen, E. Gera, K.R. Jamieson, B.J. Janssen, W.A. Laing, S. McArtney, B. Nain, G. Ross, K. Snowden, E.J.F. Souleyre, E. F Walton and Y. Yauk. 2006. Analysis of expressed sequence tags from apple. Plant Physiology 141:147-166.
- McArtney, S., J. Palmer, S. Davies and S. Seymour. 2006. Effects of lime sulfur and fish oil on pollen tube growth, leaf photosynthesis and fruit set in apple. HortScience 41(2):357-360.
- McArtney, S.J. 2005. Next steps in crop load management research: Escaping the vagaries of weather, hormones and carbon balance. The Compact Fruit Tree 38(3):14-16.
- McArtney, S., M. White, I. Latter and J. Campbell. 2004. Individual and combined effects of shading and thinning chemicals on abscission and dry-matter accumulation of ‘Royal Gala’ apple fruit. Journal of Horticultural Science and Biotechnology 79(3): 441-448.
- Hoover, E., N. De Silva, S. McArtney and P. Hirst. 2004. Bud development and floral morphogenesis in four apple cultivars. Journal of Horticultural Science and Biotechnology 79(6): 981-984.
- McArtney, S.J. and J.T.S. Walker. 2004. Current situation and future challenges facing the production and marketing of organic fruit in Oceania. ISHS Acta Horticulturae 638: XXVI International Horticultural Congress: Sustainability of Horticultural Systems in the 21st Century.
Horticultural Crops Research & Extension Center
455 Research Drive
Mills River, NC 28759
Phone: 828-684-3562 ~ Fax: 828-684-8715
Maintained by: Bryan A. Konsler
Updated May 8, 2014