Steven J. McArtney
- Pomology research (80%) and extension (20%) activities
in the southeast region: North Carolina, South Carolina,
Georgia and Tennessee.
- Development of appropriate technologies for enhancing
productivity and profitability of the apple industry
in the southeast, including…
- evaluating new apple cultivars for the southeast
- identifying new or improved methods for regulating
crop load and increasing fruit size
- enhancing color formation and reducing fruit
- improving flower bud formation in biennial
- reducing pre-harvest drop
- Ph.D., Ohio State University, 1998
- M. Hort. Sc., Lincoln University, Canterbury, New
- B. Hort. Sc., Lincoln College, Canterbury, New
- McArtney, S.J. And J.D. Obermiller. 2012. Use of 1-aminocyclopropane carboxylic acid and metamitron for delayed thinning of apple fruit. HortScience 47:1612-1616.
- McArtney, S.J., J.D. Obermiller and C. Arellano 2012. Comparison of the effects of metamitron on chlorophyll fluorescence and fruit set in apple and peach. HortScience 47(4):509–514.
- McArtney, S. 2011. Effects of 1-aminocyclopropane carboxylic acid on the rate of ethylene release from detached fruiting spurs and on fruit abscission in apple. Journal of Horticultural Science and Biotechnology 86(6): 640-644.
- McArtney, S., M. Parker, J. Obermiller and T. Hoyt. 2011. Effects of 1-Methylcyclopropene on firmness loss and the development of rots in apple fruit kept in farm markets or at elevated temperatures. HortTechnology 21(4): 494-499.
- McArtney, S. and J.D. Obermiller. 2011. Effect of dwarfing rootstocks on low temperature tolerance of 'Golden Delicious' apple trees during winter 2008-2009. Journal of the American Pomological Society 65(4): 178-184.
- McArtney, S.J. and J.D. Obermiller. 2010. Evaluation of a model to predict the response of 'Gala' apples to chemical thinners. Acta Horticulturae 884:581-586.
- Parker, M.L., S.J. McArtney, J.D. Obermiller and T. Hoyt. 2010. Effect of delay between harvest and exposure to 1-MCP on post storage flesh firmness of three apple cultivars. Acta Horticulturae 884:611-616.
- McArtney, S. 2010. Flower bud formation and strategies to help break a biennial bearing cycle in apple. Compact Fruit Tree 43(3):21-23.
- McArtney, S. 2010. Russet, gibberellins and a convenient truth about Apogee. Compact Fruit Tree 43(2):16-18.
- McArtney, S.J., JD Obermiller, T. Hoyt and M.L.
Parker. 2009. 'Law Rome' and 'Golden Delicious'
apples differ in their response to preharvest and
1-methylcyclopropene treatment combinations.
- Marini, R.P., B. Black, R.M. Crassweller, P.A.
Domoto, C. Hampson, S.
Johnson, K. Kosola, S. McArtney, J. Masabni, R.
Moran, R.P. Quezada, T.
Robinson and C.R. Rom. 2009. Performance of 'Golden
Delicious' Apple on 23 Rootstocks at 12 Locations:
A five-Year Summary of the 2003 NC-140 Dwarf Rootstock
trial. Journal of the American Pomological Society
- Unrath, C.R., J.D. Obermiller, A. Green and S.J.
McArtney. 2009. The Effects of Aminoethoxyvinylglycine
and Naphthaleneacetic Acid Treatments on Abscission
and Firmness of ‘Scarletspur Delicious’ Apples
at Normal and Delayed Harvests. HortTechnology
- Janssen, Bart-Jan, Kate Thodey, Robert J Schaffer,
Rob Alba, Lena Balakrishnan, Rebecca Bishop,
Judith H Bowen, Ross N Crowhurst, Andrew P Gleave,
Susan Ledger, Steve McArtney, Franz B Pichler,
Kimberley C Snowden and Shayna Ward. 2008. Global
gene expression analysis of apple fruit development
from the floral bud to ripe fruit. BMC Plant
S., J. Schupp, M. Parker, J.D. Obermiller
and T. Edgington. 2008. Preharvest 1-Methylcyclopropene
delays fruit maturity and reduces softening and
superficial scald of apples during long-term
storage. HortScience 43:366-371.
McArtney, S., and J.D. Obermiller. 2008. Comparative
performance of air-induction and conventional
nozzles on an axial fan sprayer in medium density
apple orchards. HortTechnology 18:365-371.
- McArtney, S.; J.D. Obermiller, and A. Greeen.
reduces russet and does not negate the efficacy
of GA4+7 sprays for
russet control on 'Golden Delicious' apples. HortScience
- McArtney, S.; D. Unrath; JD Obermiller and A.
Green. 2007. NAA, Ethrel
and GA4 have variable effects on flesh firmness
and return bloom of
apple. HortTechnology 17:32-38.
- McArtney, S.; D. Ferree, JD Obermiller, A. Green
and J. Schmid. 2006.
Effects of Prohexadione-Ca and GA4+7 on scarf skin
and fruit maturity in
- Newcomb, R.D.; R.N. Crowhurst; A.P. Gleave; E.H.A.
Rikkerink; A.C. Allan; L.L. Beuning; J.H. Bowen;
E. Gera; K.R. Jamieson; B.J. Janssen;
W.A. Laing; S. McArtney; B. Nain; G. Ross; K. Snowden;
E. F Walton and Y. Yauk. 2006. Analysis of expressed
from apple. Plant Physiology 141:147-166.
- McArtney, S., J. Palmer, S. Davies and S. Seymour.
2006. Effects of
lime sulfur and fish oil on pollen tube growth,
leaf photosynthesis and fruit set in apple. HortScience
- McArtney, S.J. 2005. Next steps in crop load
Escaping the vagaries of weather, hormones and
carbon balance. The
Compact Fruit Tree 38(3):14-16.
- McArtney, S., M. White, I. Latter and J. Campbell.
2004. Individual and combined effects of shading
and thinning chemicals on abscission and dry-matter
accumulation of ‘Royal Gala’ apple
fruit. Journal of Horticultural Science and Biotechnology
- Hoover, E., N. De Silva, S. McArtney and P. Hirst.
2004. Bud development and floral morphogenesis
in four apple cultivars. Journal of Horticultural
Science and Biotechnology 79(6): 981-984.
- McArtney, S.J. and J.T.S. Walker. 2004. Current
situation and future challenges facing the production
and marketing of organic fruit in Oceania. ISHS
Acta Horticulturae 638: XXVI International Horticultural
Congress: Sustainability of Horticultural Systems
in the 21st Century.
- Ferree, D.C., M.A. Ellis, S.J. McArtney, M.V.
Brown and D.M. Scurlock. 2003. Comparison of fungicide,
leaf removal and gibberellic acid on development
of grape clusters and botrytis bunch rot of ‘Vignoles’ and ‘Pinot
Gris’. Small Fruits Review 2(4): 3-18.
- McArtney, S.J. 2002. Ethylene evolution from
detached apple spurs in response to chemical thinners.
HortScience 37(4): 662-665.
- Walker, J.T.S. and S.J. McArtney. 2002. An economic
assessment of organic apple production in Hawke’s
Bay orchards. D.M. Suckling and M.R. Butcher, (eds.)
Plant Protection Challenges in Organic Production.
- McArtney, S.J., E.M. Hoover, P.M. Hirst and I.R.
Brooking. 2001. Seasonal variation in the onset
and duration of flower development in ‘Royal
Gala’ apple buds. Journal of Horticultural
Science and Biotechnology 76(5): 536-540.
- Ferree, D.C., S.J. McArtney and D.M. Scurlock.
2001. Influence of irradiance and period of exposure
on fruit set of French-American hybrid grapes.
Journal of the American Society of Horticultural
Science 126(3): 283-290.
- Stanley, C.J., D.S. Tustin, G.B. Lupton, S. McArtney,
W.M. Cashmore and H.N. De Silva. 2001. Towards
understanding the role of temperature in apple
fruit growth responses in three geographical regions
within New Zealand. Journal of Horticultural Science
and Biotechnology 75(4): 413-422.
- Austin, P.T., A.J. Hall, C.J. Stanley, D.S. Tustin
and S.J. McArtney. 2001. Testing a model of early
season temperature effects on apple fruit growth.
Acta Horticulturae 557: 427-432.
- McArtney, S.J. and D.C. Ferree. 1999. Root and
cane pruning affect vegetative development, fruiting,
and dry matter accumulation of grapevines. HortScience
- McArtney, S.J. and D.C. Ferree. 1999. Shading
effects on dry matter partitioning, remobilization
of stored reserves and early season vegetative
development of grapevines in the year after treatment.
Journal of the American Society of Horticultural
Science 124(6): 591-597.
- McArtney, S.J. and D.C. Ferree. 1998. Investigating
the relationship between vine vigor and berry set
of field-grown ‘Seyval Blanc’ grapevines.
OARDC Research Report 1998. pp. 114-120.
- McArtney, S.J., D.C. Ferree, D.M. Scurlock and
G.R. Johns. 1998. Concentration of amino nitrogen
and soluble carbohydrates in bleeding sap collected
at bud break of ‘Cabernet Franc’ and ‘White
Riesling’ grapevines growing on four clonal
rootstocks. Fruit Varieties Journal 52(4): 220-225.
UP Hedrick Award winner (APS)
Horticultural Crops Research & Extension Center
455 Research Drive
Mills River, NC 28759
Phone: 828-684-3562 ~ Fax: 828-684-8715
Maintained by: Bryan A. Konsler
Updated April 16, 2011