Deadly Galernia, Autumn Skullcap
HIGHLY TOXIC, MAY BE FATAL
- CAP small, about 1.5-2.5 inches in diameter, sticky when
moist, dark brown to brownish yellow as it dries, margin striate when wet.
GILLS attached to the top of the stalk, yellow becoming brown as spores
develop. STALK light brown to tan, fibrillose below annulus, hollow, base
with dense white mycelium. ANNULUS white becoming brown with spore deposit,
located near the top of the stalk, may disappear with age. SPORE PRINT
- USA, NC
- Apparently well distributed throughout NC.
- Forest or natural area, landscape. Singly or in small
clusters on rotted wood.
- Symptoms may occur 6-24 hours after eating and include
severe abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea which may persist 6-9 hours.
Initial symptoms are frequently followed by a lag period up to 24 hours.
During this symptomless period toxins are severely affecting the liver
resulting in gastrointestinal bleeding, coma, kidney failure and death
usually within 7 days after eating.
- NOT EDIBLE!
- The small brown sticky caps, white annulus, rusty brown
spore prints and occurrence on rotted wood are good diagnostic characteristics.
This species is one of a complex that is best separated by an expert. Galerina
marginata and G.veneata also contain the same toxins produced
by G. autumnalis making these three species some of our most poisonous
- HIGHLY TOXIC, MAY BE FATAL IF EATEN!
"Poisonous Plants of North Carolina,"
Dr. Alice B. Russell, Department of Horticultural Science; Dr. James
W. Hardin, Botany; Dr. Larry Grand, Plant Pathology; and Dr. Angela Fraser,
Family and Consumer Sciences; North Carolina State University. All
Pictures Copyright @1997Alice B. Russell, James W. Hardin, Larry Grand.
Computer programming, Miguel A. Buendia; graphics, Brad Capel.
Disclaimer: The list of poisonous plants on this web site does
not necessarily include every poisonous plant that is known, or that might
be found in an urban landscape or home. North Carolina State University
does not advise eating any of the plants included in this web site. The
information concerning edibility is taken from the literature, and the
degree of reliability is unknown. We discourage the use of any of these
plants for self medication. In cases of accidental exposure or ingestion,
contact the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.
Previous Species, Home,