CAUSES ONLY LOW TOXICITY
IF EATEN. SKIN IRRITATION MINOR, OR LASTING ONLY FOR A FEW MINUTES.
- Large shrub or small tree; leaves alternate, simple,
widest above the middle; flowers with 6 maroon-purple petals; fruit an
aromatic, soft and fleshy, cylindrical berry with large, flat, brown seeds.
- USA, NC.
- Forest or natural area in rich, moist woods, along streams
and river bottoms; often in dense thickets.
- Ingestion, dermatitis.
- Fruit, leaves.
- Fruit edible but some people suffer severe stomach and
intestinal pain. Skin irritation from handling fruit.
- EDIBLE PARTS: Raw berries (fruits) in small quantity.
HARVEST TIME: Only collect fruit from areas you know have NOT been treated
with pesticides. SAFE HANDLING PROCEDURE: Wash fruit thoroughly with warm
water. Do not use dish detergent or any type of sanitizer. These products
can leave a residue. The fruits generally fall to the ground before they
are ripe and therefore must be ripened at home. Ripen outdoors -- the smell
is overpowering. The fruit is ripe when the skin turns brown. The fruit
can be eaten raw, cutting them in half like an avocado, removing the large
oblong seeds and sprinkling with lemon juice. SOURCE: Crowhurst, A. 1972.
The Weed Cookbook. Lancer Books, Inc. New York, 190 pp.
- CAUSES ONLY LOW TOXICITY IF EATEN. SKIN IRRITATION MINOR,
OR LASTING ONLY FOR A FEW MINUTES.
"Poisonous Plants of North Carolina,"
Dr. Alice B. Russell, Department of Horticultural Science; Dr. James
W. Hardin, Botany; Dr. Larry Grand, Plant Pathology; and Dr. Angela Fraser,
Family and Consumer Sciences; North Carolina State University. All
Pictures Copyright @1997Alice B. Russell, James W. Hardin, Larry Grand.
Computer programming, Miguel A. Buendia; graphics, Brad Capel.
Disclaimer: The list of poisonous plants on this web site does
not necessarily include every poisonous plant that is known, or that might
be found in an urban landscape or home. North Carolina State University
does not advise eating any of the plants included in this web site. The
information concerning edibility is taken from the literature, and the
degree of reliability is unknown. We discourage the use of any of these
plants for self medication. In cases of accidental exposure or ingestion,
contact the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.
Home, Next Species